Soft emo outfits are more than just clothes. They’re a statement of who you are and how you feel. Explore our selection of unique emo outfits. I was an emo kid back in the day, and let me tell you, it was awesome. I rocked the ripped skinny jeans, the heavy metal band tees, the choker necklaces, the knee-high socks, and the leather jackets like nobody’s business. My hair was jet black with neon streaks, and I had a fringe that covered half of my face. Hot Topic was my second home. But you know what they say, fashion is cyclical — and emo outfits are making a comeback in 2022.
But wait, what is emo fashion anyway? Emo is a type of music that sounds like punk or rock but with more feelings and angst. Emo fans have their own style that screams, “I’m dark and edgy, and don’t mess with me” — think lots of black, leather, and silver accessories like studs, chains, or piercings. The look was huge in the 2010s, especially on Tumblr.
12 Best Soft Emo Outfits Ideas
I’m not ashamed to admit it; I’m still an emo girl at heart in 2022. And I’m not alone — from the When We Were Young festival that’s basically my dream lineup to Avril Lavigne, who’s dating my crush, Timothée Chalamet, emo fashion is having a moment. And I’m here for it. Whether I’m rocking studs and chains, ripped tights, plaid skirts, chunky boots, or skull rings, I love expressing my inner rebel with alternative looks. Sometimes I just can’t deal with the bright and cheerful kid-core outfits that everyone else is wearing — emo fashion trends gets me.
Emo outfits are for the cool kids — the ones who know how to rock an all-black outfit with attitude and flair. Here are my 12 best soft emo outfits ideas that will make you want to join the dark side. Check them out below.
1. Moto Jacket
Listen up, fellow emo kids! If you want to take your wardrobe to the next level, you gotta get yourself an edgy moto jacket. Trust me; the motorcycle style will give you that extra dose of cool that you’ve been missing. Don’t be caught dead without one!
2. Short Sleeve Tee
This outfit is so emo; I love it. I can show off my love for my favorite artist, animal, or heavy metal band on a graphic tee that’s softer than a kitten and then wrap a flannel or short sleeve tee around my waist for that casual vibe.
3. Skinny Jeans
I don’t need to buy new skinny jeans to be alt. I just dig up my old black skinnies from the depths of my closet and go to town on them with scissors and sandpaper. Voila, instant emo denim. Just don’t cut yourself in the process.
4. Knitted Long Fingerless Gloves
I’m telling you, fashionistas; it’s time to ditch those outdated opera gloves and make way for the new trend: knitted long fingerless gloves. And if you really want to give it that emo twist, go for a black and red striped print that’s sure to turn heads. This celeb-loved trend is here to stay, and you don’t want to be left behind.
5. Mini Plaid Skirt
I can’t get enough of red tartan plaid. It’s like the emo uniform but better. Especially when it comes with some fake leather and buckles to spice things up. A mini plaid skirt lets me flaunt my awesome faux tattoo tights and buckle boots. I’m a rebel with a cause.
6. Leather Platform Boots
Nothing screams emo like leather platform boots. I love how the silver buckles and the thick rubber sole add some spice to my look. They make me feel like I can kick some butt and rock out at the same time.
7. Long Sleeve Hooded Sweatshirt
Don’t you dare neglect the cozy stuff when you’re filling your closet with black clothes! A good old long sleeve hooded sweatshirt is not just for couch potato days — you can rock it under a leather jacket and look like a badass emo.
8. Canvas Platform Shoes
Do you know those black high-top canvas platform shoes that we all love? Well, why not shake things up a bit and try out a platform pair instead? The canvas platform shoes are where it’s at, with their super cool zig-zag soles. Your feet will thank you for the upgrade.
9. Black Cargo Pants
These black cargo pants are not your average pair of pants. They’ve got utilitarian straps and buckles that take them to the next level, plus a silver chain that attaches to your belt loop. And if you really want to go all out, pair them with a silver chain necklace to complete the look. You’ll be turning heads left and right with this upgrade.
10. Chill Out Beanie
We all have those bad hair days, right? But don’t worry, I’ve got you covered – literally! Just throw on a slouchy black chill out beanie, and you’ll be good to go. Not only will it cover up any hair grease, but it’ll also complement your super-dark eyeliner and vampy lipstick. This is the ultimate solution to all your bad hair day problems.
11. Innerlight T-Shirt
Listen up, fellow emo enthusiasts! If you’re a fan of graphic tees, then the emo aesthetic is your golden ticket to stock up on all the coolest designer clothing. Take this black crew innerlight t-shirt, for example – it looks like an X-ray right to your ribs, and it’s the perfect addition to any emo wardrobe. You won’t regret stocking up on these bad boys.
12. Leather Choker Necklace
If you’re looking for a fierce accessory to add to your collection, look no further than this leather choker necklace. Not only is it adorbs us, but it’ll also go with any outfit and make you feel like royalty. Trust me; this is the perfect addition to any goth babe’s wardrobe.
Tips to Look Emo With Soft Emo Outfits
• For a classic emo look, a deep side part in the hair is a must. I usually hold a brush near the corner of my eyebrow and sweep my bangs from my hairline to the side. I keep brushing my side part until it falls perfectly to the side, and then I use hairspray to keep it in place. It’s a simple yet effective way to add some edge to any look.
• Stock up on vintage or band shirts. Vintage clothing brands, in particular, is a popular choice, as are clothes that promote punk or underground music. I love to visit thrift stores or garage sales to shop for older clothes that speak to my personal style. I also make a list of my favorite punk or “emo” bands and buy their T-shirts to complete the look. It’s a great way to express my love for music and fashion at the same time.
• Start by applying a layer of foundation and powder. It’s important to choose a foundation that matches your skin color and apply a thin, even coat to your entire face using a sponge or powder brush. After that, lightly powder your face to even out your skin tone and help mask any blemishes. This simple step can make a huge difference in your overall look.
• Emo fashion is all about form-fitting outfits that hug your body’s curves. To achieve this look, it’s important to take your body’s measurements and find clothes that closely match these measurements for a tight fit. This will help you find clothes that contour to your body’s shape and give you that signature emo style.
• Don’t forget to add some accessories. Once you’ve chosen your emo top and bottom, it’s time to personalize your look with a few key pieces. In the emo subculture, large or studded belts, horn-rimmed glasses, messenger bags, wristbands, fingerless gloves, and striped socks are all popular accessories that can take your outfit to the next level. So, don’t be afraid to experiment and find the perfect accessories to express your unique style.
• When it comes to emo footwear, canvas shoes, sneakers, or combat boots are the way to go. Emo fashion has its roots in underground music, and many emo kids choose to wear boots or shoes that mimic “punk” footwear. That’s why canvas shoes, combat boots, and sneakers are all popular choices for emo footwear, regardless of gender. So, pick your favorite pair and rock them with confidence!
• Choose the right bottoms. Emo fashion typically involves wearing slim-fit jeans or skirts in dark colors or patterns. Skinny jeans or tight-fitting skirts are both popular options, especially when decorated with chains or buckles. So, whether you prefer jeans or skirts, make sure they fit snugly and come in a dark color to achieve that signature emo style.
Soft Emo Outfits FAQs
What is soft emo?
Soft emo is a style that combines elements of emo fashion with softer colors and accessories. It is a way of expressing your emotions without being too dark or edgy.
What are some examples of soft emo outfits?
Some examples of soft emo outfits are:
• Black skirt with fishnet stockings, a pastel blue crop top, and a leather jacket.
• Black jeans with rips, a white T-shirt with a band logo, and a yellow cardigan.
• Black dress with lace details, a pink belt, and a denim jacket.
• Black leggings with a floral print, a purple oversized sweater, and a black beanie.
Where can I buy soft emo clothes?
You can buy soft emo clothes from online stores that specialize in alternative fashion, such as Dolls Kill, Hot Topic, or Killstar. You can also find some pieces from mainstream stores like Forever 21, H&M, or Urban Outfitters. You can also thrift or DIY your own soft emo clothes by adding patches, pins, or dye to your existing wardrobe.
As an emo enthusiast, I know that this subculture is all about authenticity and powerful emotions. It’s not just a music genre but a deep and artistic way of life. The emo “look” has been around for decades, and it’s a timeless style that’s perfect for teens and young adults like me. By choosing the right women clothing, makeup, and hairstyles, I can brand my personal style as “emo” and make it my own. It’s all about mixing my own personal tastes with the signature emo style to create a look that’s uniquely me.